Glasses are trending in a big way, it is no longer a fashion taboo, but a coveted style, regardless many people prefer to opt out on the glasses trend and embrace the freedom that contacts can give them. If you prefer keeping your peepers glasses free here are a few tips on how to keep your contacts clean and safe for your eyes. Most importantly talk with your eye care professional about your concerns or any questions you may have.
The type of lens will determine the kind of care it requires. Disposable extended wear versus conventional soft lenses will vary in maintenance. If you don’t want the hassle consider and discuss disposable lenses with your eye doctor.
1. Always assure your hands are clean before handling contact lenses. Use a mild non-cosmetic soap free of perfumes, oils or lotions that may transfer to your lenses and cause irritation. Make sure to use a lint free towel after washing your hands.
2. Use hairspray and apply makeup before you put contact lenses in and remove lenses before removing makeup so you don’t get any on your lenses.
3. Always use the disinfecting solution, eye drops, and enzymatic cleaners your eye care professional recommended. Some eye products are not safe for contact lens wearers.
4. Never use tap water directly on lenses.
5. Never rinse your lenses by putting them in your mouth! This can cause infection or damage to your eyes.
6. Clean contact lenses by rubbing each gently with your index finger in the palm of your other hand. Lightly rubbing your contact removes surface buildup.
7. Clean your contact lens case every time you use it with either sterile solution or hot tap water. Let it air dry. Replace the contact lens storage case every three months.
There isn’t a whole lot of effort involved but by including these tips to your routine can ensure that your lenses last longer and keep your eyes healthy and happy!